Onions are a great food source for cleansing your body and providing health benefits. Onions are packed with vitamins and minerals, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents. They’re great to add to most dishes as they offer flavour and nutritional value. I’ve been loving this new recipe of pickled onions because it gives a fresh kick to the typical taste of onions. The pickled version are the perfect condiment for tacos, burgers, salads, nachos, and they are even enjoyable on their own. I store them in a mason jar in the fridge to help keep them fresh.
You can prepare and enjoy these beautiful pink toppers in about 20 minutes. I find that using sweetener, such as maple syrup (rather than refined sugar,) provides a more balanced flavour when paired with the tangy vinegar. You can also make them without maple syrup, if that would be your preference.
Easy Quick-Pickled Onions
*click on blue text to buy ingredients
- Put all the onions into a 1 pint mason jar or glass jar.
- In a small saucepan combine all the remaining ingredients and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Carefully poor all of the liquid over the onions.
- Push the onions down into the jar to emerge all the onions under the liquid mixture then allow it to sit and cool at room temperature. (20-25 minutes)
- Enjoy or cover and place in the fridge to enjoy another time. I prefer to eat mine within the week although they should last in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.