When I first started eating kale, I didn't enjoy it very much. I found eating a kale salad to be a daunting task. That was until I ate this flavourful jalapeño kale salad from a restaurant in LA. It was deliciously satisfying and the kale wasn't too overpowering. I was determined to make something similar once I got home and I'm so proud of this creation.
Kale is a superfood. It's packed with fibre, magnesium, vitamin C, vitamin A, and much more. I try and add kale to at least one meal a day, whether it's added to a smoothie, stir-fry or salad.
If you're finding the texture difficult to chew, try massaging oils or lemon into the leaf before eating it. This helps to soften the kale. I like to add my dressing on a raw kale salad 15-20 minutes before I eat it - this allows the leaves to soak up the dressing while softening it. Chopping the kale really fine also helps!
In this recipe I've also added some homemade croutons. I make them from gluten free bread or pita. Your welcome to use your choice of bread and you can even use my paleo everyday bread if your looking for a delicious grain free option.
Kale with a Kick
*click on blue text to buy ingredients
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 3/4 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 large gluten free pita or 2 slices of bread of your choice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Wash and chop the kale and cilantro fine. Add it to a large bowl.
- Slice and shop all remaining produce to your desired sizes and add to the bowl.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients together in a blender or food processor and blend well.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad, toss well and allow it to sit while you make the croutons.
- Cut your bread or pita into small 1 cm sized cubes.
- Place on a baking pan, drizzle the oil and garlic powder over the bread and toss well.
- Broil in the oven at 500° for 3 min. Flip then continue to broil for 2 min. Take a look once near the end to be sure not to burn the croutons.
- Add the croutons when you serve the salad. Enjoy!
*The croutons are optional and of course you can use store bought. I like to make my own because I can easily bake them and I know whats in them. *Nutritional values are not including the croutons *Nutritional values are per 1 serving