These grain-free, nut-free, vegan squares were created for a little man who has many allergies and finds it hard to find tasty options that are both nut-free, egg/ dairy-free. They're absolutely packed with berries and really, do I need to say much more?! The berries give the bars a sweetness and the coconut is the perfect compliment.
You'll likely notice in my recipes that I like to bake with coconut oil. This healthy fat is packed with nutrients, tastes great and has been known to decrease the affects of Alzheimer's. Our brains need healthy fat to function. It was previously believed that all fat is harmful, but that thought has been falsified - good fat (like coconut oil) is necessary for optimal body function and very, very important!
The fun thing about coconut oil is that it is a liquid when the temperature is above 24°C and a solid when it's below 24°C. This is why I like to keep these squares in the fridge, it helps keep them firm on a hot day.
Coconut Berry Bars
*click on blue text to buy ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix all the base ingredients together well and press into an 8x8 pan sprayed with coconut oil.
- Bake the base for 10 minutes.
- Mix the middle ingredients and place on top of the baked base.
- Bake again for another 20 minutes.
- Cut the squares into 16 and let cool before digging in.
*Nutritional values are based on 1 square.