Beets are an extremely healthy yet underrated vegetable. They are fiber-filled and can be enjoyed raw or cooked. Beets will help improve circulation in your body thereby lowering blood pressure and increasing blood flow to your brain. What's not to love!
This salad is a favourite of mine and has been for many years. I love the combination of the beets and the mustard dressing though I'd advise you not to eat it while wearing white clothes. The lovely bright colors will stain!
This salad is designed to eat cold though I am tempted to try it warm.
*click on blue text to buy ingredients
- 4 large beets
- 2 shallots
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1 avocado
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Peel, clean and chop beets into 1.5" slices. Bake in the oven with a 1/4" of water in a glass dish with a lid. Bake for 30 minutes or till soft. (the time depends on how thick they are cut).
- Drain beets from the water, let cool in a medium sized bowl.
- Chop shallots, parsley and add to the cooled beets. (add the avocado last)
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing together and whisk well. Drizzle on top of the beet salad.
- Cut the avocado into cubes and add to the salad. Serve and enjoy!
*I add the avocado last so it won't get stained red from the beets. Also if you don't plan on eating the entire salad in one sitting, don't put all of the avocado onto the salad. Add it as you eat it so it stays fresh.