This is a complete meal with lots of vegetables, protein, healthy carbs and some healthy fats. It's a recipe I created while reminiscing about the shepard's pie my mom used to make, years ago. Although I remember my Mom's recipe being delicious, it was filled with meat and white potatoes so it didn't have the same nutrient value as my adaptation. This recipe is a beautiful and bright work of nutritious art!
Although I've chosen certain vegetables to use, you are more then welcome to use any of your favourites. I'm sure cauliflower or zucchini would add great flavour. If you don't have a large family to eat it all in one sitting, rest assured that the leftovers taste fantastic!
Lentil Shepards Pie
*click on blue text to buy ingredients
- 4 portobello mushrooms (2 1/2 cups chopped)
- 1 white onion (1 cup chopped)
- 1 tablespoon organic butter (or avocado oil)
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 2 cups broccoli chopped
- 1 1/2 cup carrots chopped
- 1 teaspoon himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon organic butter (or avocado oil)
- 4 cups sweet potato mashed (800 grams)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon organic butter (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives chopped
- dash of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Bottom- Sauté onions and mushrooms with butter on medium. When cooked, place in the bottom of a large (3 Litre) glass pan.
- Gravy- In a small sauce pan, add cold water, arrowroot powder, and veggie stock. Whisk together well then bring to boil and set aside.
- Middle- Sauté carrots and broccoli, with butter for 5 minutes. Add cooked lentils, salt, pepper and gravy.
- Continue cooking for 5 -10 min then add on top of the mushroom base.
- Top- Combine sweet potato, garlic and butter and carefully place on top the middle vegetables. Top with salt and pepper (leave the chives for later).
- Bake for 35-45 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle chives on top. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving then enjoy!
*Nutritional value per 1 serving